Prayer of Saint Francis

Prayer of Saint Francis
Where there is hatred, let me sow love and, where there is darkness, let me bring light.

Thursday, December 5, 2013

Making the Best of the Holidays

Life often gives us a bitter pill to swallow. That is why I feel we need God in our lives. But God has become a dirty word in our society and other places in the world. Spirit is more popular in today's culture although many people claim they don't believe in anything at all.

Not true. Members of our materialistic society still believe that Christmas means spending a lot of money. For those of us who don't have much, this can be devastating, particularly when we can't buy our children the latest X-box or tablet. We want more than anything for our children to fit in, to be much happier than we were when we were young.

Most people lose sight of the true meaning of Christmas  in favor of worshipping Black Friday or discount shopping. They'll beat each other up, mace and trample over their fellow shoppers in order to get the best deal. The true meaning of the holiday is lost on most people. Love is the reason for the season and not who gets what.

There are many ways to celebrate that you won't see Madison Avenue advertising very soon. I know for a fact, that a lot of money isn't needed if you shift the focus of what the holiday season is all about.

As a single mother, I didn't have much to spend on my daughter when it came to Christmas presents. I did manage to charge an X-box on a credit card one year, but for the most part, I bought her Christmas presents at discount stores. And to this day, she claims that it didn't make a difference in her happiness. She w as just as excited to find coloring books and a doll under our tiny Christmas tree as she would have been finding anything else. And what I had to give that wealthier parents didn't have was time. Together she and I baked and decorated cookies, read books by candlelight, and ate dinner in the homes of our fellow church members.

I have a testimony that the holidays are what you make them. If you choose to be lonely and unhappy you will be. If you choose to make the most of what you do have and not what you don't, you will invite love and happiness into your life.

This year, my daughter is far away. She is mad at me and so I don't even have an address for her and her husband. I can sit around and sulk, or I can show myself a good time. One amazing thing that I've experienced already was spending an afternoon at the Holiday Open House of Senator Mark Wyland. One of his aids had helped me with a real estate matter this year, and I guess she added me to the list of invitees. What an experience it was to hobnob with some of San Diego's most prominent politicians! I had some great chili, tacos, and gingerbread bundt cake too!

On the eighth, I'll travel south to watch The Messiah at The Village Church in Rancho Santa Fe. I was in attendance at the Christmas eve performance and it was very inspiring.

It may not be the as exhilarating as watching family members unwrap gifts on Christmas morning, and I still hope to do that one day. But many people around the world would love to take my place. I've got my health, a roof over my head, food on my table, and the loving support of the Spirit and my archangels. In essence, I've got everything I truly need.

No comments:

Post a Comment